Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Are you a Dupage Mama?

Welcome to Dupage Mamas! This blog is a place for Mamas to connect, share their experiences, and recommend great finds and ideas (or let us learn from your mistakes!) If you are raising kids in Dupage County, then we'd love to have you along for the adventure!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mud and Munchies Part 2: Backyard Gardening for Everyone

Today's guest blogger is Heather from Wheaton...

Last month I wrote about starting a vegetable garden in your backyard. Did I mention that we are doing our garden this year with friends? We are square foot gardening this year. You can easily build your own box with a few simple supplies from a hardware store, but we ordered one of their kits because I am short on time and figured the money I spent was going to a good cause because they are a non profit organization. Well, we got our kit and we built it. It was really easy to put together. Anyone can do it...really, anyone.

Then we prepared our soil mixture. It's organic soil, compost and peat moss. I could not find vermiculite, but am not especially concerned. Then invited friends over to help us plant the first seeds. We can already see the peas and lettuce coming up...and so far weeding has been a breeze...
I've got some other crops started next to the box in more traditional rows and we are enjoying that too.

Interested in doing some yard sharing? Talk to your neighbors and friends. Pool your resources and share your time build friendships and get some delicious homegrown tomatoes out of the deal. Need ideas, encouragement or a place to connect online? Check out Hyperlocavore...they'll help you get started!

Heather blogs at In Te Domine. We're always looking for guest bloggers! If you'd like to share something with the Dupage Mamas community, send us your completed post or half-baked ideas.

3 comments:

Mandie May 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

I did SFG a few years ago. It was all kinds of fun - I grew awesome peppers and more cukes than I could pickle. I hate living in condosciety where I can't garden!

Catherine May 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

I live in Condosociety too, and wish I could do a lot more. But I'm actually one of the friends gardening with Heather, so that's one chance - find a friend with lawn! Also, I have a balcony that is proudly holding three hanging flower plants, an herb garden in a window box planter (hanging from the rail) and three tomato plants!

So, you had good success with SFG?

Anonymous,  May 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

hey you condosociety people...have you heard you can grow strawberries in hanging planters?

just thought it could be fun to try!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP