Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Are you a Dupage Mama?

Welcome to Dupage Mamas! This blog is a place for Mamas to connect, share their experiences, and recommend great finds and ideas (or let us learn from your mistakes!) If you are raising kids in Dupage County, then we'd love to have you along for the adventure!

Thursday, April 9, 2009

A whole new world

The library is, to me, a standby location when the kids or I need to get out of the house. So today my boys and I walked to the library. They're a bit young to really dive into book-world, but they did enjoy playing in the kids play area they have there.

Living in our suburb is kind of like living at the UN, or maybe Sesame Street. Most residents are first generation immigrants, and there is tremendous diversity of dress, food, religion, smell, skin, and language. We're one of only two households in our building that speaks English as a first language. I love this about our neighborhood.

We spent our time at the library today playing and chatting with a Hindu family from India and a Muslim family from Africa. Later in the day we walked to the park where we hung out with "big kids" who were Indian, Asian, African, Latino, and yes one Caucasian, Americans.

I am so, so grateful for the opportunities I've had to study and teach about culture and diversity. I'm blown away by the opportunities I've had to travel around the world, the relationships I've made there, and how these things have changed me.

And I'm also grateful that my sons will grow up not needing to take these classes or these trips to understand culture. Different languages, skin color, customs, dress, thoughts and values will not be "foreign" to him. He is growing up in the midst of it.

Catherine is one of the co-founders of DupageMamas. When she's not over here you can find her blogging about life in Dupage County at her personal blog, everyday life as lyric poetry.

Do you have a story about life in Dupage County? We'd love to have you guest blog for us. Email us your post, ideas, pictures - whatever!

0 comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP