Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Are you a Dupage Mama?

Welcome to Dupage Mamas! This blog is a place for Mamas to connect, share their experiences, and recommend great finds and ideas (or let us learn from your mistakes!) If you are raising kids in Dupage County, then we'd love to have you along for the adventure!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Cuddle Love

Ever wish you had a third arm, or a fourth, or a fifth? It can be quite a challenge to answer the phone or prepare a meal or chase your toddler if you have another little one that also wants all your focus and to be held close. This is when babywearing is your best friend. Babywearing is simply the practice of using a sling or other carrier to keep baby close while having your hands free to do the multitude of other things that fill your mommy-day. As mothers, we want our children to be as happy and content as possible. But, it just isn't feasible to hold your baby all day. Or is it? Using a sling definitely makes it easier for you to keep your baby happy and get on with your life.


There are lots of documented, researched benefits to wearing your baby in a sling. Sling babies cry less (43% less according to one study), learn more, and have enhanced physical and emotional development. Wearing your baby allows you to hold and comfort your baby without getting sore arms and a sore back. The sling is great for discrete public nursing and for getting a little exercise while baby naps all snuggled up against you. It is freeing to have your hands unoccupied. It saves you from lugging that awkward infant carrier seat around everywhere and trying to maneuver a stroller through tight store aisles. Just stuff your sling in your diaper bag and go. It is easy and convenient and good for you and baby.

But the thing I love the most about babywearing- having my babies close to me. I love feeling their skin on my skin, hearing their soft precious breaths. I love when they lay their head against my chest or my shoulders and I can feel them let their body fully relax and bask in the comfort of being close to mom. I love when my baby lays his cheek against my chest with ey
es wide open and learns about the world from the safety of Mom's embrace. Isn't that what we as moms want to give our children- the ability to experience life but with the knowledge that we are always there to support and uplift them? Having my boys in the sling, to me, is such a perfect picture of the type of mom I strive to be. I love that when either boy cannot be soothed any other way, I can put them in the sling and give them a safe and secure place to calm their little souls. And yes, I still put my toddler in the sling (all 35+lbs. of him). He still wants/needs it at times. It is not a lot or for long periods of time (I use other carriers for longer wearing with him). But the moments I do wear him are moments I cherish. It reminds us both of how we are deeply connected no matter what happens the rest of the day. That I care for him, that I cherish him, and that I will ALWAYS be there to meet his needs in anyway I can from now to forever. And by wearing the baby, I am teaching him that those things are true for him too.

Beyond the convenience of my sling, it is a tool I use to help me nurture my boys. To hold them close, cherish the snuggles while I can and lay the foundation of love and nurturing that will hopefully last their entire lifetime. I would love to share this must-have-mommy tool with all of you. Comment here and be entered to win a ring sling of your own plus the instructional DVD called Tummy-2-Tummy. That way, you'll be sure to get the hang of it and get the most out of your new sling. And as always, share this on your blog or twitter or Facebook and we will give you a second entry. The winner will be announced next Monday the 27th.All BabyLove Slings are 100% cotton for the strongest, softest sling possible. They can be used with newborns up to kiddos 35-40lbs. You will love the cuddles and the convenience.


If you want to find out more information about babywearing or how to purchase a sling, please visit my website BabyLoveSlings.com. Once you start to wear your baby, you'll wonder why you didn't know about this before. It has been a lifesaver tool for me and hopefully it can be for you too.

Be sure to check out all the other giveaways here at Dupage Mamas. And there are more to come!!

Massage for Mama

Barefoot Books

Homemade Gourmet



13 comments:

Carrie Pyykkonen,  April 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

A Baby sling sounds like something I may need in November. Thank you Farrah for sharing this information!

Mandie April 20, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I had a sling for my newborn and it was amazing! What is your experience with wearing toddlers? (Especially those who are not used to being worn?)

Catherine April 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Mandie,

Both Farrah and I have worn our boys from infancy to present day - and they're three years old and almost 40 pounds! I don't wear my three year old much these days as he prefers to run around, but occasionally we still do. I'd say I did every day until he turned two (and I was pregnant again).

Catherine

Anonymous,  April 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

This was a great informational post! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be having another baby this summer and to wear her - something I missed out on with my first and regret it all of the time. I'm really looking forward to learning more about babywearing!
mueller7 at gmail dot com

Anonymous,  April 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

I posted a link to the giveaway on my Facebook and on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/AmySphere/status/1567896243

Lisa Gertz April 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

I have loved wearing all three of my kids and recommend it to everyone. My only two complaints were that the weight was all on my front, and that because my kids got heavy so fast (and started heavy!)it became less and less comfortable. Thanks for this post!

Lisa Gertz April 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

I gave a link on Facebook for you, and specifically targeted a few of my Wheaton friends...

Kristee B April 23, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

I more my first daughter all the time. It took me a while to find a sling I was comfortable with. The one I ended up loving and keeping is fleece, so I'm going to need to lighten it up for the next baby who is due in June! I hadn't heard of baby love before but they look great!
I have also posted a link on my Facebook for you as well as mentioning the site on my local MOPS board I'm a memeber of!

Atwood-Family of FIVE April 23, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Thanks for the giveaway Farrah-I would love to be entered! Keep up the good work at DPM! (DuPage Mamas!) :)

Jessica April 23, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

I cannot wait to try out a sling on my newborn. I am really looking forward to being able to hold him and attend to my 2 year old at the same time.

Lucy April 24, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

I definitely need one of these for my little guy!!

Alyssa,  April 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Jana told me about your blog and so I checked it out. You guys have lots of interesting stuff. You may remember me from Wheaton (Jana's little sis). I'll be having my first in September!

Anonymous,  May 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

Your talent is such a blessing to me & my girls!!!!!!



Farrah & fellow mommies, I have to rave about baby love slings! Not only is it one of my absolute favorite baby purchases ever-I have to share the experience that made me eternally grateful! Fashionable, convenient & a MUST for all mommies in my opinion....let me tell you why!

Soooo-should 3 year old go bowling???????I don't know:( I was trying to be a fun mommy & let her have a great experience with one of her very best friends. Long story short-the ball fell on her tiny lil thumb & cracked her nail. While I was holding/bandaging Gias owie.....miss Savannah could no longer wait for nursies. How else would I ever been able to care for my 3 year old in such a situation & nurse my 5 month old??? Thank you Farrah! You rock!!!!

God Bless!

Sincerely,

Cat & her kittens

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP