Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Are you a Dupage Mama?

Welcome to Dupage Mamas! This blog is a place for Mamas to connect, share their experiences, and recommend great finds and ideas (or let us learn from your mistakes!) If you are raising kids in Dupage County, then we'd love to have you along for the adventure!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Stroller Envy

Oh, the dreaded disease. Stroller envy. Have you ever caught a case? Is there any cure other than an indulgent purchase of a stroller that is probably more than you can afford and maybe even more than you need?

Whenever I am out, I am constantly checking out the double strollers that I see. Too wide... too cluncky.... too cheap looking... I love wearing my babies ( my toddler too). But there are just times when it is super convenient to let the kiddos ride in the stroller and not on mama. My very generous mother-in-law bought us a used double stroller (a sit-and-stand type) that I have used a couple times and have a terrible time pushing it around. It is ok in the mall. And I used it once at the zoo. But it is really hard on walks (heavy to push, doesn't turn well) and on any surface that is not flat and smooth.

So here is my dilemma... The stroller that I have long lusted after is on sale through Costco for several hundred dollars cheaper than normal. The Phil & Ted in-line double stroller is, well pretty. I love that it is not too wide and that is is good quality and that it is super light yet sturdy. But as I was reading about this stroller, trying to picture myself actually buying it since it is such a great price, I got this bad feeling in my stomach. Oh, no... this isn't what I need! The total weight limit is 88lbs. This sounds like a lot but when you break it down, the back seat can only hold 33lbs with 55lbs. in the front. You can use it with an infant carrier but I don't use that anymore. The rear seat turns into some sort of bouncer but my 9month old is going to walk any day now so that is useless to me too. AHHHH!! This stroller that I love and is now on sale is still impractical for me to buy!! I would be able to use it now (A LOT!!) and probably through next fall and maybe even into the winter. But I think that by next spring and summer, my baby may weigh more than 33lbs. since he weighs around 25lbs now. My 3yr. old weighs about 35 or 40 lbs so maybe I would get more use out of it than I think. But still.... I wish I would have bought it a year ago or even at the beginning of spring. Then I would feel like I was getting my $300 worth out of it. Actually, I wish I would have invested in a really nice stroller when my preschooler was born. It is just hard to have the foresight and the disposable income. :)

So, do I spend $300 and get a really nice stroller that I would get a lot of use out of for a relatively short amount of time? Or do I spend more money and get a stroller that I would use for a longer amount of time (ie: a more side-by-side with a higher weight limit)? Or do I use the one I have and stop falling prey to this "disease of the fortunate?" I have 3 strollers in my garage right now. And here I sit, trying to figure out if I should spend several hundred dollars on a new one. Kinda wrong on some level. I have been looking on CraigsList with no luck so far.

Do you have a stroller that you love? Or is there one you would love to have? Any advice on my current predicament? I welcome any comments or advice. Help me cure this disease.

Cross-posted from Farrah's blog BabyLove Slings

2 comments:

megan sanders June 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

I have a phil and teds, actually one of you stopped me at Cosley to give me a flyer for this website and commented on my stroller, lol. I have an 18 mos old and a large 3 mos old. I really like it but there are several draw backs to the stroller that keep me from LOVING it as much as I want to for what I paid (I didnt buy it on sale, so I probably would feel differently if I got this great price!). First, its kinda hard to get the baby in and out of the bottom seat, Im not sure how it is going to be when he is bigger. I have never tried my 18 mos old in here, but should just to see. Second, there is no sunshade on the back seat. You can buy a separate one from protectabub but so far Im not in love with that either. Third, there is no tray for either kids (think snacks and sippy cups). And 4th there is no way to recline the seats easily/smoothly. So if a kid falls asleep you typically wake them up trying to unbuckle and unzip the seat to jerkily lie it down. It is fantastic for off-roading, very easy to push. It is bulky to load in and out of the car, and the back seat can be a little bit of a pain to put on and take off. I didnt buy the car seat attatchment. I would just take the baby out of the carseat and lay him in the flat infant position with the toddler seat on the front, which was nice for awhile, until he got sick of lying flat. Anyway this is a long review :) All to say if your kids are bigger/older and you arent having more kids, that I would probably recommend something lighter-weight like the side by side Macleran. If you are having more kids or use a single stroller frequently then splurge and buy this, you wont be unhappy with it. All of the flaws I have listed are pretty minor compared to the things I like about it!

Farrah June 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

That is really helpful info, Megan. Thank you so much. I think I have decided to wait. I missed the super sale, trying to make the right decisio, and now I feel like I should save up some money and buy one that is perfect for us in a few weeks. Thanks for your great advice.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP