Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Are you a Dupage Mama?

Welcome to Dupage Mamas! This blog is a place for Mamas to connect, share their experiences, and recommend great finds and ideas (or let us learn from your mistakes!) If you are raising kids in Dupage County, then we'd love to have you along for the adventure!

Monday, May 4, 2009

A Healthy Choice

Last summer, in an attempt to eat healthier and be a good steward of the earth, my husband and I joined a Community-Supported Agriculture Farm (CSA). We paid several hundred dollars for our share of the yield of a local farm. So each week, we drive to the pick up spot to get our box of assorted fruit and veges. Even with sharing the box with a friend, it was often more produce than we could use in a week. Especially those weeks when much of the box was beets or fennel or another vegetable that I had no idea how to cook. It did stretch our palette a bit and we did eat much healthier. Overall, it was a great experience and something I am really glad we did. But not something I was jumping at the chance to do again. But with the same goal of eating healthier and feeding my family well, I was confronted again with the question of how best to do that within a budget and a busy schedule. Organic produce in local stores can be hit-or-miss and pretty exprensive. Farmer's markets are great but that assumes I can get there and aren't available past the fall. Hmm... there aren't many other options out there.

Then I heard about Timber Creek Farms- a local organic food delivery service. Truthfully, the first word that caught my attention: DELIVERY!! You mean there is someone out there that will bring a box of high-quality, locally-grown organic produce to my front door? It must cost a TON.

Nope. Not at all. That is the truly amazing part. Here is what was in my first organic box: A head of Romaine lettuce, a whole pineapple, 4 large apples, a bunch of bananas, 6 zucchini, a bag of pea pods, a bag of greenbeens, 6 potatoes, and a whole head of celery.
The cost? $30.85. Delivered. To my door. Yummy fruits and veges that I recognize and can't wait to eat/serve my family. LOVE IT!!!

Timber Creek Farms has so much to offer. You can choose from the dozens of box types they have available: all veges, all fruit, mix of fruit and veges, etc... There are also many, many specialty boxes of varying prices to choose from. There is a box of foods for nursing/pregnant moms, a box of foods perfect for making baby food, the juicing box, the de-tox box, the cancer box, the high-blood pressure box, and the list goes on and on. I loved looking through the catalog and seeing all the cool combinations. But if by some chance you don't see what you want, they also let you make your own custom box.
You have a specified delivery day depending on your area and unfortunately that is set for you. They deliver within a 100mile radius of Yorkville, so that takes them all the way to NW Indiana and down to Bloomington/Normal. You can decide how frequently you want your box. We started with once every 4weeks until we figure out how much produce we will need each week. You can have a standing order or you can switch it up every week.
Beyond the delicious produce, Timber Creek also offers organic milk and meat and eggs. They also have the "Pantry Club" where you can have household staples delivered to your door. Another feature I think is cool is their "Wholesale Club" where you can buy certain things in bulk. If you don't need a crate full of paper towels, they offer a message board where you can connect with people who may want half that crate and will split the cost with you. You pay your part and Timber Creek splits the crate and delivers your share of the paper towels to your door.
Wow.

I could go on and on about the merits of Timber Creek. But here is the best part. They are a family-run business that cares about your family. And together with Dupage Mamas, they are giving away a free delivered box of organic produce!! Just click here to visit their website. Then come back here and leave a comment telling us which box you would like to try or which recipe from their blog sounds the yummiest. Make sure you also leave us a way to reach you if you win. And as usual, spread the word on your blog or Facebook or Twitter and get an extra entry. Or subscribe to our feed and get a third. That's three chances to win some free, yummy fruits and veges delivered to your door. Not much better than that. This giveaway will be open for entries until next Monday the 11th. We will draw a winner at random and announce the lucky person here.

My family has only received one Timber Creek box so far. But we are hooked! And you will be too!

16 comments:

Heather May 4, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Okay, I've been looking at their website for a couple of years now and wanting to try them, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I would love to try their service. The delivery thing is the part that caught my eye too Farrah. :)

I think I'm going to have to try their recipe for grilling artichokes. That looks super fun! I love to grill.

Also, did you all see the cool thing about feeding a family? http://timbercreekfarms.blogspot.com/2008/11/make-all-difference-in-world.html

So great.

Heather May 4, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

p.s. linked to you at my site for this one! :)

Unknown May 4, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

Wow - I have been wondering if someplace like Timber Creek Farms existed - I want healthy locally grown food for my family of seven, BUT I need it at affordable prices.

Keep up the great work with the site!

Allison May 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

This looks amazing. I have been wanting to incorporate more organic produce into my family's diet but it just seemed like it was going to be too much effort. Timbercreek makes it so easy. I think I would like to try the fruit/veggie box first. Has anyone bought any dairy, poultry or beef? That is the next step for me, finding out about organic options for those foods. Thanks for letting me know about this! I am excited!

Just Me May 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

I think the Italian steak and the grilling artichokes look delicious. Now to get DH to eat them!

Just Me May 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

I subscribed and FB'd this. I am so excited! Delivery would make it possible

Unknown May 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

Hey DuPage Mamas, I've ordered from Timber Creek off and on for a year or two, but I've never had the courage to branch out much beyond the basic fruit and vegetable box. I'd love to try to Farmer's Market Box (It includes pumpkin pie?!)

Thanks for your great blog. I'm definitely subscribing and linking right now!

Atwood-Family of FIVE May 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

I already get TCF boxes, once a month, but would love a bonus box this month! Since I'm a nursing mama, the nursing box caught my eye. Thanks again for the site Farrah!

Miss Kita May 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

What a great idea -- delivery is totally key to this idea.

Personally, I love trying out new cheeses -- the cheddar and bleu cheese crumbles would be my first choices. I love going to Wisconsin to all the little local dairies to try out their homegrown cheeses. YUM!

Rita May 5, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

Hi, Everyone - Rita from Timber Creek Farms, here. I wanted to jump in with a comment or two to help clear up some misunderstandings. TCF is not a farm. We're an organic home delivery service, and we've been in business for 20 years. We support all USDA Certified Organic farmers because there is so much pressure on farmers to stop growing organically. Consequently, we shop the entire earth for USDA Certified Organic food, but most of our products come from the US. During the growing season, we have agreements with regional farmers for their organic veggies and fruits, and all of our milk and cheese is from Wisconsin. Almost all of our meat is from Iowa.

Just one other point. In our brochure, you'll see boxes with a set price, a list of contents and a title (theme). We always stay to the title (theme) and the price, but the contents of the boxes change every week based on seasonality, availability and price. This means that it's a surprise. We provide recipes, cooking classes and cooking podcasts on my blog, and you can always call for more info.

Hope this helps!
Rita
TCF Organics

Mandie May 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

I have been wanting to join a CSA since I first heard of them. I wish we could come up with the chunk of cash to join because I KNOW that it's ultimately a completely good deal. Alas. However, if I could, the playfood box looks completely awesome - the hardest part of getting my kids to eat veggies is doing all the work! The Protein Fruit & Veggies box looks great, since we're vegetarian and always look for more ways to get extra protein. The Bluebird looks great, too, because we LOVE eggs but hate buying store-bought. Man, I may just have to try this service!! :)

Lindsay May 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

thanks for sharing about TCF. i'm excited to check it out. I'd love to try the Makin' Baby's Food box since we'll be entering that new stage with the little one soon.

Jessica May 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

I heard about this but didn't know how to find it. I'm glad this was posted and I am definetly going to try it out. All the boxes look interesting, so many to choose from and I love that. I think I'll have to start with the fruit/veggie mix and go from there. Thanks so much!

Unknown May 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

i would like to try the short ribs recipe--my husband loves them but i haven't been very confident about making them myself. maybe this will give me confidence!


melanie(dot)myatt(at)gmail(dot)com

Unknown May 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

I am excited to hear about the organic food that you can order and have delivered! The fruit and vegetable box sounds like a great box for us and the "Apricot Chicken and Rice" recipe sounds great. We have been trying to eat more greens so I plan on looking at many more of their vegetable recipes.

Rebecca June 3, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

How are the prices compared to shopping at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? The delivery is nice, but I am more concerned about cost.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP